First Home Owners Grant Western Australia
Buying your First Home is the dream of most Australians. The First Home Owners Grant [FHOG] is a grant system provided by the Commonwealth Government and administered by the various State Governments. The grant is intended to assist first-time home buyers with the opportunity to enter the market and buy their first home.
In Western Australia the government provides eligible first-time home buyers up to $15,000 towards buying and building your first home. The grant is not means tested but you need to be eligible. Here are the major eligibility grounds:
- You must be 18 years of age or over,
- You must be an Australian Citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident,
- You must not have previously owned a residential property in Australia,
- The property purchased must be your principal place of residence for a continuous 6 month period, within the first 12 months after settlement on the property or completion of the building,
- The total value of the property (the house and the land) must not exceed $750,000 or if the property is above the 26th parallel, must not exceed $1,000,000.